One of the most popular New Year’s resolutions after losing weight is to start doing sports regularly. No wonder why most gym memberships are sold in January.
If exercising more is also on your list, we have some suggestions on how to go and not to go about it.
Our first advice is NOT to buy a gym membership. It will only make your wallet slimmer. Not because gyms are not good, but simply because most probably you won’t go. When you will need to prioritise amongst kids, work, household, husband etc., the very last thing you will do is to show up in the gym.
The simplest way to start moving is to walk. I don’t mean strolling, but a brisk walking that makes your heart pump faster, preferably in your fat burning zone. (If you wonder what is your fat burning zone: it is 60-70% of your maximum heart rate. The mathematical calculation of your maximum heart rate is 220 minus your age. So if you are 40, the fat burning zone is between 108 and 126 heartbeats per minute.)
Walking in the nature would even improve your mood significantly.
If you are not yet doing so, I recommend you to start measuring your daily steps and try not to go below 10’000 (around 7 kms) per day. This can be very challenging if you have an office job. But measuring it can be very eye opening and helps you adjust your habits.
I just read an article lately about a study done in the US. They offered buffet lunch to a group of women and without them knowing it was measured how much they ate. The next day they were taken out for an intense walk before lunch and measured how much they ate again. On average they consumed 30% less calories. That’s a huge difference; so walking (and exercising in general) can lower the appetite.
Simple changes could make a great difference:
• Walk to places you used to drive.
• Always take the stairs instead of the elevator.
• If you sit in an office, make sure you use a printer that is not next to your desk and walk as much as possible within the office as well. You can also try our chair workout series
• Put on ankle and wrist weights and wear them during your everyday activity at home. This little trick makes your muscle work more intensively than usual.
• Get up 10 minutes earlier than your family and do a short workout as a starter! You will find yourself being more energetic during the whole day! If you need some guidance, try the Busy Moms’ Fitness & Recipes App!
If you would like to make daily exercise a habit, stay tuned, as on January 22nd we will start a health challenge including daily exercises to make you look amazing for Valentine’s day.